Now, local urban bodies must disburse 25% of the funds for the construction of parking lots; Himachal government to bear remaining 75%: The Tribune India


Tribune press service

Ambika Sharma

Solan, July 8

Local urban authorities (ULB) will have to pool 25% of resources against 50% previously for the construction of car parks. The remaining 75% would be the responsibility of the state government. Previously, the state government and ULB shared funding in a 50:50 ratio.

Fine collected for wrong parking

As much as Rs 98,10,665 was levied as fine for wrong parking this year by police till April, while Rs 2.83 crore was realized in 2021, Rs 1.83 crore in 2020 and Rs 1.78 crore in 2019. – Virender Sharma, Solan SP

The new rule became applicable from June and it will contribute to the expansion of parking facilities in urban areas of the state, said Rajiv Kumar, Commissioner, Solan Municipal Corporation (MC).

The lack of funds has a deterrent effect on the development work of the ULBs, which must devote several essential works such as water supply and the collection of garbage and their scientific disposal.

With a sharp increase in the number of vehicles with each passing year, the creation of additional parking lots is an urgent need in urban areas.

In the town of Solan, the problem was taking on alarming proportions. The lack of adequate parking forces motorists to park their vehicles in available spaces along the roads. The police issue challans to motorists who park their vehicles at random.

As much as Rs 98,10,665 was collected this year as a fine by the police till April while Rs 2.83 crore was made in 2021, Rs 1.83 crore in 2020, Rs 1.78 crore in 2019 and Rs 1.50 crore each in 2018 and 2017, Solan SP Virender Sharma said.

Apart from a parking space above MC’s office, no new parking lot has been created for many years. An arranged parking space near the gurdwara is not functional as there are land ownership issues.

Although construction work for a multi-level car park had begun near the children’s park, lack of funds had also put that on hold. When contacted, the contractor said that despite depositing certificates of use of funds, a payment of Rs 2 crore had been pending for several months.

With such cases arising, it remains to be seen whether the new funding model will help urban local authorities or further delay development work.

#solan